Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fiesta Anyone?

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Three things come to mind when I think about this celebration: good food, amazing drinks and lots of vibrant colors. I usually like to go out to my favorite Mexican restaurant to join in the festivities, but this year I'm doing take-out and celebrating at mi casa instead.

I thought it would be fun to give my house the feel of a Mexican restaurant. I dug out a tortilla warmer that I bought about 5 years ago and have used exactly once. I figured if I used the warmer at least one more time no one could accuse me of being a hoarder - right? Instead of using the warmer for its intended purpose, I decided to use it as a centerpiece...here is the result:



Since I am not doing any cooking, I figured there was no sense in having to clean either. I pulled out some colorful paper plates, napkins and plastic utensils to complete the table. Okay, I'll even admit the fact that I have all of these paper and plastic products stored in large containers at my house screams of hoarding...



In elementary school I remember making flowers out of tissue paper for our Cinco de Mayo parties. I thought it would be fun and nostalgic to decorate the table with these, so I surrounded myself with paper and started crafting. I would love to say that my results were on par with Martha Stewart's flowers, but in reality it just looked like a bunch of crumpled up tissue paper...oh well.

Not one for giving up, I came up with another idea of creating flowers out of colorful peppers. I gathered up a good mix of sweet peppers and got to work.



And here's the result...



Not bad, but some time in the near future I will be devoting an entire post to creating the perfect tissue paper flower!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I Love your blog! So glad to see such beautiful work.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com