Thursday, March 28, 2013

Jumping on the (Birthday) Bandwagon

I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but I somehow convinced my boys to have a combined birthday party this year....thank God! After much discussion we decided to have the party at an indoor trampoline facility called Sky Zone that just opened a few weeks ago.

When I booked the party I was given a stack of pre-printed invitations as a part of the package. Normally the craft-snob in me would scoff at these invitations, but I waited so late that I felt forced to use them. Or so I thought. When I pitched the idea to my kids, my oldest looked at me and said (cue the sad music) "but Mom, you always make our invitations". Ouch. I desperately tried to come up with valid reasons that a soon-to-be 9 year old would buy as to why I would not be making the invitations this year, but to no avail.

I had just started putting a design together when my youngest son declared that he would really love to have a pop-up card. Really? I only had 3 days to design and construct these invitations, so a pop-up card (that I've never made before) might be a stretch. And then my son gave me "the look". Needless to say, I made the invitations. Here is the outside of the card...


...and here is the inside - my kids are "jumping" out of the invitation. Please note that the enormous heads were my husband's idea - apparently it has something to do with sports.


Here's how the pop-up effect works - I found directions for this here.


I didn't care for the design on the cake that was included with the party package, so I decided to make a cake topper instead. I made a trampoline with the boys (again with big heads) jumping on it.


The trampoline was made out of foam paper and popsicle sticks...


Now that I had created custom invitations and a custom cake topper, I decided to complete the trifecta and create custom banners for the party. Each banner had my kid's name...


...and a birthday boy jumping on a trampoline.


According to my guys the party was a big success, so Birthday 2013 is officially a wrap!

5 comments:

pbrenner said...

I love the invitations and the cake topper - you did good, mom, especially for only having a few days :-) My son (also named Zachary) is 20 now - one of the things I miss is the kids birthday parties (though he would *love* the trampoline place!)

Patty

Bellenza Bistro said...

Mom deserves a BIG hug for all these party preparations!

Hatter and Hare Events said...

Thanks so much for the kind words and for reminding me that I've only got a few more years left for parties! Being a Mom is much harder than I ever imagined it would be, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Hoa Bracken said...

Congratulations for accomplishing all the preparations even in a short amount of time! And may I just tell you that I 'aww-ed' when you said that your son was sad that you're not making their birthday invitations this year? That would definitely make a mom's heart give in. Having the invitations printed will help you ease up on the things you need to attend to while planning a party; but if you can be a super mom for the day and accomplish everything on your own, then why not? Hoa Bracken

Crissy Cheatham said...

How did you get the skyzone back ground?and was it printed directly on the card?

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com