Thursday, April 28, 2011

Patriotic Bandanna Wreath

This week I walked into my favorite craft store and was overwhelmed by the insane amount of red, white and blue merchandise that had replaced the pastel Easter items so quickly. Very rarely do I plan early for anything, but I was really inspired to create something for the upcoming Memorial Day holiday. Being fresh out of ideas, I popped over to check out what the CSI ladies were up to this week and learned it was a wreath challenge - cool.

A while ago I came across an adorable wreath made out of men's ties - you can see the picture here. So I decided to combine a project I did last year with the tie wreath to create a bandanna wreath...


I don't sew, so I used hot glue to make the pennant flags. Once they were made, I simply glued them onto a 13" wooden wreath that I purchased from the dollar store.


Here's a close-up of the bow I made using a bandanna. Yes, I am theme-obsessed!


This was super easy to make thanks to hot glue. Maybe one day I'll finally learn how to sew!






Linking up to:
Visit thecsiproject.com

10 comments:

Lizzy @My Mind..My Life said...

This is really cute. I just love Bandanas!

Anabell said...

These are fantastic AND if I make them now, they'll be ready for July 4th, too. Found you on Pinterest...I'm definitely going to check out your blog. Thanks!

Hatter and Hare Events said...

Thanks! I recently created a tutorial for the wreath that is included in a new eBook - here's a link: http://www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com/Editors-Picks/Handmade-Wreaths-for-All-Seasons-14-Wreath-Tutorials-eBook

Melissa's Wreath Shop said...

I really want to make this for my son's cowboy party...how did you do the layering, and can I use a foam wreath?

Patti said...

I agree with Melissa...more details please on making this wreath.

Hatter and Hare Events said...

Hi Patti - Sorry about that...I actually responded to Melissa directly through email vs. sharing with everyone!

I simply hot-glued the big triangles so that the upper right corner of one triangle hit the middle of the next triangle. I then cut small "accent" triangles that I glued in between each point to make the wreath look more full. I hope that makes sense. If not, just drop me a line and I'll try to be more clear!

And here is the link to a free eBook that featured this wreath - directions are included: http://www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com/Editors-Picks/Handmade-Wreaths-for-All-Seasons-14-Wreath-Tutorials-eBook

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I cannot figure out how properly fold the square into the triangle. I tried the tutorial but still can't seem to get it right? Any ideas?

Hatter and Hare Events said...

Anonymous - I am anything but precise, so my advice would be to chose one design on the bandanna and fold the triangle shape around it. If you look at my triangles they all come to a point around the same little design on the bandanna. I hope that helps!

Debbiefrank said...

did you stiffen the fabric with anything?

Mel the Crafty Scientist said...

Love your blog and this project - so creative and festive! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of my very favorite July 4th projects here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )
-Mel the Crafty Scientist 

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com