Saturday, July 24, 2010

Christmas Light Topiary

I live in Georgia and it's about 100 degrees outside, so it's been impossible for me to even start thinking about Christmas right now. However, Kendra over at My Insanity is hosting a Christmas in July party and I just had to join in the fun!





I had originally planned to make homemade Christmas cards, but since I didn't start pulling out materials until late last night that didn't happen. Instead I remembered seeing a really cool topiary that was made out of drink umbrellas (crafty people make me smile). Then I remembered seeing some adorable balls made out of Christmas lights and my idea was hatched.

I have a ton of Christmas lights that I bought on sale last year and I have been dying to use them. So I decided to make a topiary out of Christmas lights. Please note that this requires a ton of lights...



All you need is a styrofoam topiary form, Christmas lights and a hot glue gun to make this - here are the detailed instructions from the BHG article:

Step #1 - Use the foam brush to coat the plastic-foam ball with acrylic paint. Let dry.

Step #2 - Insert the screw end of a lightbulb into the foam ball until the glass touches the ball.

Step #3 - Remove the bulb and apply a drop of hot glue to the end of the bulb. Immediately reinsert the bulb into the hole. Working outward from the first bulb, continue attaching bulbs in the same manner until the ball is covered with bulbs.



Here is the final result...




Thanks Kendra for making me get excited about Christmas! I'm going for a swim now...

16 comments:

Unknown said...

insanely clever! love it! (and it's blazin hot here too!)

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

Joanne Kennedy said...

I love this idea and I'm going to do it with my girl scout troop. Thank you.

Hugs,
Joanne

Amy said...

These are terrific! What a great Idea! I must have a set for my mantle! I bet this would make a great wreath.

oh' boy said...

i love this idea!!! i am putting this on my to do list!!! thanks for sharing

Hatter and Hare Events said...

Hey - thanks so much for the super nice comments! I hope you have as much fun making your topiaries as I did making mine!!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

This came out soooo cute! I love topiaries and this one is really different and fun.


heather

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea, Kristin! I can so see using this idea on my round table as a centerpiece for holiday parties. Thanks bunches for the how-to!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Those are adorable! Makes me wish I would have bought a TON more lights on clearance at Hob Lob. I have to try this one. :)

Anonymous said...

So cute! Thanks for a great idea!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Congrats on being one of the winners of my Christmas in July party! This is really a great project! I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of these popping up over blogland this December!

Feel free to grab a button from my site for your "featured on" section. I'm sure it won't be the last time you are feature!

Brittany Schwaigert said...

So CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank You

Unknown said...

What did you use as the base?

Unknown said...

I have a pile of old lights I will try this.

Anonymous said...

What size styrofoam ball did you use?? Also what size dowel and how long?? I was thinking of using a small terra cotta pot to put it in??

Anonymous said...

In the delicate dance between a flower and a glass, nature and craftsmanship converge. The fragility of the expert commercial glass company petals juxtaposed against the sturdy transparency of the glass creates a beautiful harmony, showcasing the artistry of both organic beauty and human ingenuity.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com