Tuesday, February 8, 2011

DIY Candy Valentine's Day Cards

I finally decided to start constructing Valentine's Day cards for the annual card exchange extravaganza at my son's school. But halfway through the construction process I had to stop and remind myself why I didn't make my life easier by just purchasing cards. And the answer is simple: I'm a crafter - this is what I do.

After a brief consultation with my client, it became pretty clear that he could care less what the card looked like as long as it wasn't too "girly" and there was candy on it. So I decided to let the candy be my inspiration for this card - Butterfinger Hearts.



Okay I'm going to admit that I did not put much thought into this design because, let's face it, the candy is going to trump even the most elaborate card out there. Both of my boys love dinosaurs, so I thought that would be a safe bet. The heart-shaped candy was what led me to make it a Stegosaurus. This card was super easy to make - just cut out a dinosaur shape, add googly eyes, a mouth and then attach the chocolate candy using adhesive dots. I saw a blog post where they attached candy onto a card using a low-temperature glue gun, so that's an option as well.



I started thinking about other ways to use the candy for Valentine's Day cards and just had to try them out. Here is an idea for a butterfly card...



And an idea for a flower card...



Here's a close-up of the flower...just arrange the chocolate hearts in a circular shape and attach a small piece of scrapbook paper in the middle...



I'm working on one more idea for a do-it-yourself Valentine's Day card that I hope to finish before the big day...stay tuned!

8 comments:

Melissa Marini said...

So cute. I am going to have to rty that flower card for the kids day care. :)

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the dinosaur?

Jennifer said...

Is there any way you could post a pattern for the dinosaur? It is so great. I'm not artsy enough to just cut it out like you say...LOL! You can email it to me if you'd like. I would love to make these with my son's class at his party.
Email:
marriedtoaGator at comcast dot net

Thanks!

Unknown said...

I was hoping for a dinosaur template too...hoping to get 20 of these done this weekend for my son's Kindergarten class. :-)

Hatter and Hare Events said...

Hi - thanks for all of the sweet comments! I just created a new post that has a template for the dinosaur...here's the link:

http://www.hatterandhareevents.blogspot.com/2012/02/template-for-valentines-day-dino-card.html

Hope this helps!

THE JOHNSONS said...

Thanks so much for posting a template!!! It helped me out so much and my 5 year old is so excited to make them!

Anonymous said...

The link to the template doesn't work anymore .. would you please repost.. Thanks!

Sophia Mia said...

Special thanks to (hackingsetting50@gmail.com) for exposing my cheating husband. Right with me i got a lot of evidences and proofs that shows that my husband is a fuck boy and as well a cheater ranging from his text messages, call logs, whats-app messages, deleted messages and many more, All thanks to

(hackingsetting50@gmail.com), if not for him i will never know what has been going on for a long time.

Contact him now and thank me later.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com